Friday, January 21, 2011

Suet Cake Recipe


Backyard bird feeding and watching is a hobby enjoyed by countless numbers around the world. I got started feeding birds in my parents backyard about 26 years ago and every since then I’ve been hooked. I originally started with one small feeder and the plan to draw birds in closer to photograph. I still enjoy photographing birds in my yard but I also have a greater appreciation for just observing them. Since that time, in my parent’s backyard, I’ve lived in several different locations but everyone had at least one feeder in the yard. The most I ever had was 10 and in one winter, the birds consumed 400 pound of black oil sunflower seeds. I have tried many mixtures of seeds but found I get the best results, in my area, with black oil sunflower seed and some type of suet cake.

I put suet out each winter for the birds, it is especially enjoyed by the wood peckers and brings them in for a closer viewing opportunity. Suet cakes can be bought in many places, for a relative small price but I really enjoy making my own. The following is the recipe I use for home-made suet cakes. Give it try, tweak it if you have a good idea and enjoy it with others.

Half Cup Peanut Butter
Half Cup Lard…No Shortening
Melt these together and then add the following.
One & a half cups of Corn Meal
One & a half cups of All Purpose Flour
With this you can add any of the following
Oatmeal
Raisins
Dried Fruit
Sunflower Seeds
Once this is mixed up, pour into a suitable pan to cool, and then cut to fit your suet feeder. I have also just tucked the mixture into tree cavities or between limbs on a tree. The birds will find it anyway you display it.

No comments:

Post a Comment